Thursday, October 18, 2007

TURN BACK THE CLOCK.


When I was growing up, I felt that my world was so protected. I didn't have to think of anything and everything was provided for. All I had to do was grow up and one of my aims during that time was to study. I didn't have to worry about anything.

So, growing up for me was blissful but not entirely satisfying as I grew up in a family that was able to afford the necessities for me. I didn't have any luxuries but what my parents provided for, it was sufficient for me as there were not many sophisticated gadgets like now. What I had during my time came close enough to a lot of imaginations and of course the random Popeye game on Nintendo. Other than that, life was pretty much ordinary for me, running around the neighborhood, climbing on trees, stealing other people's produce, in fact, it was spent mostly outdoors. Cycling around the neighborhood was the "in-thing" and I had many childhood friends.

Mixing with the other races were not a problem as there were no barriers when I was growing up. I never looked at an Indian or Malay in terms of color or race but more in terms of human beings. I learnt fast for a kid and I mastered different languages when I was growing up. Perhaps that's what made me accept things easily, and I felt comfortable with all kinds of people. I could mix with those older than me to the younger ones, and I must admit that the younger ones usually hang on to me, as if I was their bigger brother...and to this day too, I notice, I attract friends who are mostly younger than I am. Not sure why?

Ahh, the care-free lifestyle was so precious at that time, but upon growing up, I realized problems came in different sizes and varied in many portfolios. There is so much to bear and at times, the burden overwhelms me! It is during these times, I always look back and wish like that song from the group, Johnny Hates Jazz, "Turn back the clock", I can also turn turn back the clock and return to my childhood innocence.

How much I miss them and how much I wish I can return to that time, when things stayed as they are. The people who have passed on was still alive and things were as they were. Not a moment changed but precious moments of spending those happy moments abound! The Love at that time was so unique that its so hard to comprehend the type of love people talk about nowadays. Its nice to look back to where I came from and there were times, I could have just mended some of the wrongs I did and say some of the things that I ought to have said but never got the chance to do so. Those as they say, is the best times of my life!

3 comments:

Medie007 said...

turn back time? noooo.... i would be a kid then...

anyway, ur childhood seems pretty much like mine hor? except the part with the other races one lar, we pretty much dun have much other races at my kampung, and well, i was well overprotected to go out anyway. hiaks...

Shake Trees said...

sometimes its gud to think back but dont go back lar. wats past shud be left behind. dats experience. changing history may not be a gud thing. we all in the end grow up. cheers!

Kit said...

yeah memories are great aren't they. and the past always seems better than the present, doesn't it? i can totally relate to your wanting to go back to simpler times. but i don't think that's for me. i kinda sucked as being young.