Sunday, October 7, 2007

GLUTTON'S BAZAAR


colorful drinks galore



This week will be the last week of fasting before our Muslim brothers & sisters celebrate their Eid El Fitr. It will also mark the end of the Ramadhan bazaar which only comes out like mushrooms once a year. I've always enjoyed the trip to one of these bazaars as there will be stalls upon stalls selling almost anything from the infamous "popiah basah" right down to the humble "kueh muehs".





my favorite kueh- onde onde


The one that I usually hang out will be the one at Section 14, PJ-next to the Alpha Angle Building. Its one of the most concentrated of the lot for the PJ area and the number of customers seen is a sign that good food is being sold here. Yes, good food as in their Murtabaks, Satay, Roti John, Nasi Kerabu, Ikan Bakar and even the various Laksam. I've always taken a fancy to unusual Malays food and am not afraid to try out new dishes. Hence, this year, I was clearly a bit disappointed as the variety this time was not that many. There were many other stalls selling the same stuff. Example will be the murtabak stall, there are a few of them all placed in one row and I really wonder how they will actually fight this out?




nasi beryani GAM



But, the popiah basah is still the best bet. Lines fill up come rain or shine and frankly speaking, I'm really amazed at the crowd. There is a whole lot of them and they will all line up patiently waiting in line to get their orders. The uncle who runs this stall is always seen to be busy and he is indeed laughing his way all to the bank! I've tried it once and have also given some to my Muslim friends, and they commented nothing special actually. To me, it taste like popiah and not being a fan of it, I didn't think much of it.


sate anyone........?



Anyway, as this is the last week before Eid begans, I feel a tinge of sadness that I have to wait until next year for the next Ramadhan before all this little stalls start to mushroom out again!




my other favorite dish, rendang!




delicious ikan bakar....


9 comments:

Ryan said...

OOohh... I love satay! And also the ayam percik!!

adrien said...

only managed to go for the pasar 3 times this year. sooo tak puas.

Anonymous said...

sigh BW u really temp me with all these food..miss them so much...been years i have not tasted them. Ok next time u come to bkk, pls ta pau some wet sambal sauce from the auntie at ttdi wet market and check into your luggage and bring at least 2 kgs of sambal and curry paste for me ok !! the curry paste here all very different in taste. I cooked once, instead of rendang pork, i get masaman pork. LOL !!

David The Man said...

Huh? Masaman pork? Hahaha... What is that? I want to taste your masaman pork... hehehe...

Anonymous said...

DTM - masaman curry is thai red curry but a bit on the sweet side. Thais love their curry sweet and spicy and with lots of "kuah"

Shake Trees said...

yummnnn... u... wakaka... so yummylicious the pics.

coolgardy said...

Guys- thank u so much for the comments! Yes SW, I will dabao the sambal and the tumis from u...but pls give me the exact location of this makcik! Btw, SW, I know panang moo and its my favorite!!!

Ganymede said...

Oh its so hard to find good onde-onde. I love those that pops in the mouth.

Anonymous said...

BW, the penang auntie selling all the rempah ratus is at tmn tun dr ismail wet market. her stall is on the same floor as the fish mongers and her shop is located i think, 1 or 2 rows after all the fish sellers, near to the beef seller...somewhere in between...it is next to a few kedai runcit type of stalls...get me the rendang chicken, curry fish and also korma chicken sambal ya. tks !!