Wednesday, July 11, 2007

THE COOKING DIVAS.


Diva at work in the kitchen...



I realized that cooking is an art form that takes some time to master. Not all of us have the ability to do a simple task like frying an egg. There was this friend of mine during my Uni. days when we stayed in a dormitory together.

Give Nerdy Nick a chance to cook something easy, he will tell you that maggi mee is his forte. But, ask him to fry an egg, the whole egg can burn! So, we totally did not rely on NN to do any cooking when it was during special occasions. Instead we had to serve him...now come to think of it, I'm becoming to wonder if that little fiasco he did with the egg actually earned him the right not to do all the dirty job?


So, yeah, cooking takes skills and also art form. We either have it or just don't have it at all. That actually gave me a thought when I briefly mentioned it to Slipper Whore that night about cooking.


You see, SW is a diva when it comes to the kitchen. SW can single handed cook a 7 course dinner and still have time to bake a pie or cake for dessert. Wonder if that is how SW got all the inspirations from Martha Stewart or Fong Tai? Or could it be the numerous cook books neatly stashed in SW's apartment?



simple meal created by SW...


SW brought up a valid point in terms of cooking. Ok, we can have the chance to actually eat outside, or "da bao" (take-away) or just cook plain maggi mee. But, eating all that is not healthy and too much MSG already will ruin our hair, right? especially for those losing hair....


Learning to cook simple dishes is a must must, according to SW. When we get older and if for a number of reasons, we are still alone, have not found that elusive numero uno in our life, well, we can still survive. Like in my previous post, gigs can come in handy but what about the part where you have to fill your stomach on days your gig is not free?


So, we learn to cook simple yet nutritious dishes (knowing how PLUs care about their bodies), and its not even going to take very long. At times, one can also impress friends by having dinner parties (for a small group) or if you are adventurous enough, you might want to throw a party for 20 persons?


I've also attended numerous parties thrown by these cooking divas; impressed that they can actually serve exotic, simple or fusion. I guess that in every PLU, there is a desire for us to entertain and show off the best china, best vases, best decoration of flowers, etc etc...


As for me, its not that I do not know how to cook but its the fact that I'm actually very lazy at it. When I was younger (many moons ago), I did have the penchant to whip something. Give me time, I can actually make cookies or even cakes (thanks to my Eurasian god-ma) or the ever elusive curries like Green Curry (Portuguese style), Devil's curry, Curry Feng ( a kind of dish that is only served during Christmas) or the numerous "achars" or pickles.


I have these recipes neatly filed in a hand made book but to actually dig my hands and do something about it, hmmm...no inspiration! Well, trust me, I know if ever one day, I'm all alone, I will survive and I will cook for myself and even my friends.


But, if you are like my friend NN, then I hope you will at least try to learn how to fry the egg properly but not burning it.


Oh, by the way, any of you out there throwing a party, invite me, so I can sample some fabulous food from you cooking divas! I know you just want to show off...right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

BW thanks for your compliments. I am not a great cook but my food is simple and edible, just to fill the tummy.

My frens used to tell me if there is a curfew, I will survive as there is always something stored in the kitchen cabinets and fridge to whip up something to eat.

I belief one must learn to cook something simple as we grow older, we need to stay home more and enjoy some chores at home. Talk to all the PLUs above 40s, am sure most of them prefer a quiet life at home. Thus, we have to pick up something or some chores that we enjoy doing and will occupy our time besides mahjong ok.

Hmm...when are we going to play mahjong again ah? We got 2 kaki here in krungthep, looking for the 3rd. And no joke, we cannot find a decent mahjong table at all, not even from chinatown !! A pasar malam type of square table also cannot find..geeezz... And the fact that my buddy bought an LV mahjong set from Shenzhen..wow..we are dying to hoi-cheong u know !! You gotta come see the LV mahjong set !! Bet da-queen will salivate over it !! LOL

Anonymous said...

HI Coolgardy & SW,
I loveeee your blog!! Long time no see. I see SW cooked Tomyam soup with Bunga Kantan??? Yum Yum.. Bet she's inspired by the many Thai Bunga Kantans (BK) of late :)
Hehehe
Muacks
FH Whore (Guess who...)

coolgardy said...

Hi SW & FH Whore - first and foremost, thank for the compliments. Its not easy coming up with topics every night to post my deadline...it has to be funny, touching or even just plain easy reading but I have fun doing it.

SW- yes u r right, we need to learn how to cook to defend ourselves just in case a curfew has been imposed or what not? Mahjong, y yes..but no Thailand style ya, I will stick to our Malaysian 3 kaki style.

FH Whore- hmm, if I guess right, I think you are that fabulous FH we have and believe still slender and sexy...oops, dun show too much boobs ya! :p

Anonymous said...

BW - sure Malaysian style la..but 3 kaki not 4 kaki as 4 kaki too slow...ok next time you cum to krungthep, spend some time with us for mahjong ok...we will still leave u enuf gig-hungting and chasing time..hehe