Wednesday, December 12, 2007

TIS' THE SEASON TO BE SWINDLED

Today must be THE day for swindlers to act! Why do I say this? Well, this afternoon, I received a call which number was on the "withheld" status.


Usually, such calls will be either from overseas or from these Insurance or Credit Card companies trying to sell their products. I had the choice of not responding to it but what if it was from one of my friends overseas? So, in good faith, I answered the call and from the end of the voice, it was a Mandarin speaking girl. Before, you could even say "Jericho", I've already figured out what this girl wanted. I had the thought that perhaps that maybe she is trying to tell me that I'm the lucky one and all I need was to give her my bank account number and they would deposit my winnings into it.


However, this call was different from the previous one. This one actually started with telling me that they were from this company and they were going to hold a party next Saturday at one of the shopping malls in the city. I thought, why not, entertain a bit and find out more about this scheme.



what a day...!


Mind you, all the conversation was uttered in the Mandarin dialect.

Girl: "How are you sir, I'm representing company so and so and would like to invite you to our party this coming Saturday at this mall". "Have you heard of this event and even our company?"


Me: "No, as a matter of fact, I have not heard of it"


Girl: "Oh we are very new in the market and one of the ways for us to advertise is to get you invited to our events where there will be performances, food and also lucky draws!"

Me: "Well, I will attend if I have the time"

Girl: "Sir, you must come, please do make a point to attend as we have lots of activities that day" "By the way, what's your name?"

At this juncture, I felt a bit suspicious as my understanding is, if you know my cell phone number, definitely you will know whom you are calling.

Me: "Don't you know my name? If you have my number, I would think that you would have already got it from a source that would have included in a name?"

Immediately, the girl went into hyper drive. She was speaking so fast, that there were certain words that I could not understand.

Girl: "Don't worry sir, we got your number from a reliable source and we did not source out additional information. I would just like to your surname since there would be a lot of people attending that day and I would like to register your name for the gifts"

Me: "Didn't you hear me the first time? I said that I would attend if I have the time"

Girl (sounding emotional): "Why must you be so difficult? I just want to know your surname and that you also do not want to tell me? What kind of guy are you? You good for nothing...."

The rest of the conversation from here ended in a lot of swear words and before you knew it, like the SHINKANSEN, she sped off and cut me off!

u stupid bitch!



What nerve that bitch has to call me names and swear off like that. I didn't even have the chance to reply my swear words in Mandarin!! Anyway, this was the first time, I have received such a call, mostly it was the AF calls and they spoke in Indonesian.

So, in future, you guys also receive such calls, I guess the best policy is not to entertain them as there are so many swindlers out there.

Oh, before I forget, I also got an interesting mail from a swindler and of all places from facebook! Yes, I got the most lame-st email ever. Its about this brother and sister from Ivory Coast, whose fortune that they must take out of the country. They need an account to deposit this huge sum of money and have asked the reader, that is ME, to provide them. Apart from my generosity of providing them that facility, they would also pay me 10% of their inheritance money as a token of gratitude to me!


Two swindlers in one day, how lucky can one get? Luckily, its not a stormy night with thunder & lightning!!

4 comments:

David The Man said...

Well, you are not the only one who got this swindler's calls and the lamest e-mails. I ignore them altogether, although yes, I do entertain some of those Chinese Mandarin-speaking girls' calls, but at the end of the day, I just say I am not interested in so and so product or winnings or I have no time. And then those calls end like that. I didn't get any swear words or what, just that they kindly say thank you or the worst is that they just simply cut off the phone. As for the lamest e-mails, I get countless of them, and like what you say, some of them tell stories, for instance, the deceased's accounts has got millions and requires someone else's account to deposit the money or something like that. Most of these e-mails come from South Africa, Ivory Coast, Nigeria and some other African countries. Better ignore them. Where got such generous people to give you so much money? At the end of the day, if you give them your account numbers, you would surely be cheated of your money. Also do not forget to ignore those e-mails that say you have a lottery winning of miilions of pounds, which I received from the UK Lotto.

savante said...

Two swindlers in a day! How did that happen?

coolgardy said...

Dr Paul - I think I must have been very very LUCKY!!! :)

chase / chubz said...

wow.. the nerve..
i've received those kind of emails too.
but i google it to verify their authenticity.. hehehhe..
but generally, i just shun them