Tuesday, December 4, 2007

DON'T LOOK DOWN ON THEM


What is the politically correct reference to those who are deaf and dumb? Do we call them physically challenged persons? In my case, these group of physically challenged guys attend Cali. Gym and truth to be told, I'm really impressed by their ability to overcome all challenges to look good.


These group of them actually attends the gym most days and some times weekends too, working out on their core muscle groups. As their community is rather a small one, they know each other and their numbers are like about 10. So, each time, whenever they attend gym in the evenings, I will notice these group of them always working together and supporting each other.

we work hard to look good...


It's their esprit De corps that has attracted me to them. Each time, by way of communication, their hands and fingers will go all over the place and each time they do such gestures, one can tell whether they are arguing or sharing a joke, or perhaps bitchin' about some cute guy in the gym? From my observation, I've noticed that they actually do have a body language deciphering the things that is happening, and from what I notice after a long time, I can tell whether they are happy or sad. Perhaps the easiest way is to note their face and expression, so in their case, eye contact is very important.

I've studied sign language once a upon a time ago while I was in Uni. doing some community welfare work that involved physically challenged impaired children. The type of sign language I studied was the International English one and I was quite fluent in its gestures (if I may say so). However, after I left Uni. so many years and not being able to practice it with anyone, I found that I could not remember most of it. Some of the common ones, yes I can still pick up but the others which is a bit complicated, well, I have given back.


So, it was good to see these group of physically challenged impaired persons communicating as it brought me back to my memories of my sign language but, there were several gestures which I did not understand and I guess it must be in the Malay Language (which is different in style with the English one).


One thing that also attracted my attention to them was that, these group of special people are also PLUs, and how I got to know it, well, lets just say, its all in the hands! If you do drop by to Cali. in MSC (Menara StanChart) one of the mid-week evenings, you will notice these cute guys using their hands to communicate.

2 comments:

David The Man said...

Yes... it's definitely gonna be very nice to know these physically challenged people and be friends with them.

Medie007 said...

wooot... nicey nicey...