Wednesday, September 12, 2007

QUAKE IN PETALING JAYA

Approximately about 1915 hours this evening, there was a small swaying feeling felt at the 3rd floor meeting room. At that time, I was having a TL meeting with my Manager. As my manager was delivering his inputs to us, we felt a swaying feeling. In fact, I had felt it much earlier but dismissing that perhaps I was already hungry and tired. I really thought that I was going to faint but before I did that, my Manager voiced out and told us why is the room shaking?

There and then, we realized that this was not small swaying feeling, it was part and parcel of the earthquake that strucked Bengkhulu, in Sumatra. Strangely, Bengkhulu is actually situated at the west coast of it and the epicenter struck somewhere along the Indian Ocean. But, because the magnitude was 8.2 (as reported in CNN just now), someone who is located at the 2nd or 3rd floor will feel it, what more if you live in a high rise condominium?


The best part about this is that I have never felt such a swaying before and before it actually stopped, I believe it was a good 10 minutes of it. Initially, if you do not move, you will feel a faint feeling but once you decide to move, the impact of that feeling is not so great. I really felt like a sick feeling at first, but then, realizing that I was part of what was something great and yet also scary, it made me feel the urge to pen up my thoughts on it...and my words to describe this is--- AWESOME!!


Having said that, my thoughts also go to the ones who are suffering at the moment, those who may have lost their homes or loved ones...hopefully, there will not be any major casualties involving lives like the one in Peru.



i feel the earth move under my feet....

6 comments:

Ganymede said...

Another one just happened this morning too. Almost as powerful as yesterday's.

savante said...

Hope the folks over there are okay. must check the papers.

Fable Frog said...

i felt such sway before, twice. I think i missed the recent one... i could be sleeping at that time~ sumatra have earthquake so often, i really felt sad bout' that.

Ryan said...

How come I never feel anything?!

Anonymous said...

i din feel it as i was on the plane back to boy land here...

Anonymous said...

What? You felt AWESOME of the tremor? Are you kidding? It's sound so dangerous. RUN out of the building next time.