Thursday, August 30, 2007

THE CALL...

Yesterday, I received a call which had not number listed on my cell phone. Before I picked up the call, my mind was racing to figure out who it could be. Usually, when the number is "withheld" it means, that it’s either an overseas call, or someone had a private line.

I figured it could be my FH calling from Sydney or maybe Wes calling from San Francisco and then again, could be "A" my Thai friend from Bangkok. Or it could be some tall dark and handsome stranger who might just happen to get my number from someone and then, trying to call me...hmmm, yeah, right, fat hopes!


Anyway, I answered the call and from the other end, it was a lady's voice. She spoke in Mandarin and this was how our conversation started. ** translated from Mandarin**

Lady: Can you speak Mandarin?

Me: No, I cannot.

Lady: Oh, Maybe if I speak slowly?

Me: Did I not tell you I can't speak Mandarin?

Lady: Never mind, allow me to talk to you about something which will bring you much prosperity...


At that instance, I just hung up the phone. Heavens to Betsy (borrowed from a popular cartoon character) imagine me getting such calls? How did they actually obtain my number? From the instance the lady spoke to me, I knew that she was from China. There was this slight slang and twang in her expression that gave her identity away. You can tell if she is a local or mainland China person.



What type of scheme are they propagating here? I mean, who on earth will actually fall for their prey? Greed? I guess so, since humans are greedy themselves. Try to entice a 5 year old and you will find that its actually in-born! Could any doctors out there try to find a link to this type of gene? Or if you present this to the religious cohorts, they will tell you that this is part and parcel of our sinful character.



Actually this is not the first time I have received such a call before. Couple of months before, I did receive a call and this time it was an Indonesian man talking about me winning something in AF (Akademi Fantasia). Before he could even say anything, I shot back at him and told him, I'm not a fan and have not watched an episodes of it and neither will I want to believe him, for I have read the papers, you nincompoop! Instead, I even challenged him to give me his name, ID or anything to associate him to this contest. The guy got terrified and hung up his call...and I was amazed at my Indonesian slang. All those years of watching Indonesian movies and dramas worked out.

Anyway, for such things to work on the PLU community, they should first do some studies. Firstly, the person they are calling, try to establish their gender preferences. Secondly, get a very seductive voice to talk to the intended 'victim'. Thirdly, sound so convincing that the other party has no choice but to give in, and even if the other party does not buy into this, well, try or hit another target.


would u reject my call....?




Just imagine, if such a scheme was being used against the PLU community, heaven knows, how many of the gullible ones will succumb to it?

Hmm, I wonder..any partners in crime wanna join forces with me? (evil laughter...)




i'm going to call you later...fall for my scheme k?

7 comments:

Ganymede said...

Wah you got soo many expected overseas calls?

I received from China before too. Something about phone promotion of a sort...

adrien said...

so straight ppl are greedy, and gay people are lusty? lol

conan_cat said...

lol... scams scams here and there... i'm sure you've read my experience on my blog already haha.

and hmm... what sorta scam are you gonna plan on PLUs hmm, for money or for body? :P :P

J.L said...

lucky i never being called before

Ryan said...

Oh great! I received that call too. The lady also asked the same question whether I could speak mandarin. And you know what I did? I keep on saying :

"Huh?! What? Sorry again?! Louder! huh?! Apa tu?! Sorry, bye!"

Muahahaha... that's what I did, even though I can speak mandarin perfectly well enough to ask her to fuck off!

coolgardy said...

Ryan: u use the F word...wow, Im impressed... :)

J.L said...

*clap hand*