Tuesday, December 12, 2006

THE UNEXPECTED DECISION



Finally, today, I made a drastic switch. No no, nothing that spectacular about me swinging from this end to the other end or being in the middle...before your minds start to wonder.

Nope, I made a change. After almost 3 years with Fitness First gym, I decided to make a switch to California Fitness.

California Fitness Logo


I'm not sure what actually pulled me to go through that decision. It's not that I'm not unhappy with FF or view that their equipments outdated, or regard their staff to be rude; or the fact that there's no eye candies available there? Plenty by my standard! In fact, FF has the most branches in KL / PJ and why this sudden switch?

I realized that after so many years in FF, I thought that it was time to move on and venture into other turfs. Like to see whats on the other side of gym life. After all, I realized that the one thing the pulled me away from FF was the fact that with my new membership fees, it was cheaper than what I'm currently paying for in FF.


So much cheaper that I decided to sign up immediately; initially I intended to just pass through the 2 weeks of gym visits and then see how it goes but when the membership consultant talked to me, he was earnestly slashing off the prices for me. Before I did my workout, he worked out a figure which I did not actually agree.

After my shower, he met me and we talked again. This time (sales pitch here), he told me that his boss will waive off certain fees and then will further slash off the price. He did a simple calculation on his calculator and some figures appeared. The final figure was really good, it was a savings of about almost 33% and I thought it was a good deal too since it was a Platinum membership card; it entails me to go to other clubs around the world too. Good deal?



Call it impulse or call it stupidity but it was a good sales offer that I could not resist. Besides, even though they have only two branches here in the city - being StanChart Building right smack in CBD and the other one on the outer ring of KL City located in Midvalley, I took the risk of joining them. Hence, now with the supposed opening of their third branch based in Sunway Pyramid, maybe its not that bad after all?


Anyway, I will have to sort out some stuff like canceling my membership with FF and then upon doing so, will start life anew in Cali. Its going to be strange though, but I guess that's how life in the gym will go on...perhaps I will have more things to blog out here? Wish me luck.... Oh, wonder if their Gym Fairies are stronger than those in Fitness First? I shall find out...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well i made the switch last year due to two very important facts for me. Firstly, i really save a lot on my monthly fees. Why the h@** FF charge so much when they know the competition is there. Duh! Its time to cut down monthly expenses with raising cost of living. Secondly, the stupid FF passport concept is ridiculous. With a Platinum card, i can just walk into and Cali or CaliWOW branches in asia, no problem at all. Just write down a few simple columns your membership number, name, card type and id number. Simple as that. Now that's what i call smart marketing strategy and good process. To the FF management, time to LEARN and be COMPETITIVE !! LOL...Welcum to the Cali world coolgardy !!

coolgardy said...

Thanks CMFA, I will certainly build up my time in Cali...first day of trial, I already saw some familiar faces...eeks... LOL