Sunday, November 26, 2006

Fairies Fairies Everywhere.



Since we are still on the subject on gym, have you ever met some guys whose usual modus opreandi is to move in a group? Ok, I guess you have heard of gym bunnies, or gym chasers or any sort of gym related people who are part and parcel of the world of gym-ming.

We see those who go for classes (usually they will hog to be the first in lines), those who work out together (these macho hunky "konon") and then will huff and puff as they pull those weights? Or those who will hog the treadmills and then end up walking at a pace of a speed of 3 or 3.5? Then there is this group who run along and hop not like bunnies but more like fairies in the gym.

Yes, my subject is on this part of community who incidently belongs to where I also hold a stake in. Not that I was incorporated in it, I was a born stakeholder but then again, as they say, we are all diverse in our thoughts and mannerisms. This is what makes our community colorful, yes but, then again, shouldn't this colorful rainbow be controlled when its near the general population?
These gym fairies whom I shall name them are those who I will call them "mui mui chais" (Cantonese for little sisters). They consists of students from colleges or even maybe doing their Pre-U or A-levels. Again, this enlightment came about last week when I was doing my weights religiously at one obscure corner, not making the huffs and puffs, trying very hard to camaflouge myself and hoping to end my sets at the appropriate time.

But, this was not to be for my peace was broken when I heard a shrill in the gym, yes, right smack down in the gym. I turned around and saw this group of gym fairies grouping around a fellow member who was their FH (fag hag); obviously not seen in many moons and they were all excited like little girls getting their first Barbie sets.
They acted as the whole gym belonged to them oblivious to the other gym users. Never once did they consider that there were other groups there too, who may not tolerate this kind of actions. No, they acted in defiance and there they were exchanging kisses and what not.
Not to be outdone, their audio can fight the in-music system played in the gym.

"How are you my darling" said the head of the gym fairy.
"I'm good" the FH shrilled.
"Long time no see, you look so fab" another member of the gym fairy voiced out.

And the chatter went on and on, and occassionally there were a shrieking laughter. And this laughter was not from the FH but a member of the gym fairy who could not contain his excitment as if he had just reached nirvana there and then.

If this was not enough, another group joined them. This group looked like they were the gym fairies wannabe.

They did not look like the age range I mentioned earlier but were much older than them, perhaps the graduated ones? But, as you graduate you move on, nope, they stayed at that level, as I noticed.

So this went one for another good 15 minutes and what really irked me was that they were parked in the middle of the aisle where the stairs meet the landing, a major walkway for those who want to go to the lockers, drinks stalls or the studio. Lack of common courtesy seem to prevail in this group and as I had finished my sets, I walked up to the locker and said my P&Qs before they eventually made some way for me to go up.

I'm not against these group of gym fairies but then again, shouldn't there be some form of decorum when they meet up? Already, our image out there is already bruised and stereotyped in many ways, I was at least hoping that these group of up and coming community members, can contribute more positively. Looking at the scenario, it seems we have not reached to that level.
My blog is not intended to preach against anyone but to voice out my own views that if one wants to act as they see fit, then go ahead. However, we are not living in the States where they have the First Amendment to protect them. Here, we are a minority group, a group that eventually does not have any political nor an organized consensus movement to back us up, but rather, we are all individuals in our own, blending in and trying to be what we are definitely are not.

Therefore, act as you think its in you, do not lie about it but...act cautiously as this world does not owe us anything neither do we own this world. We all share and live together, so lets have some control, common courtesy and a sense of responsibility when we are out there. By building our positive image is better than having it soiled all in a good half hour of meeting in the middle of the aisle of a local gym.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well we've seen the gym fairies long enough in the gym ain't we? Maybe in KL these fairies are just "out" and wanna show off that they're fairies after all and nobody can change them.
Sometimes you get annoyed by their antics yet sometimes you just laugh it off. Hmmm I wonder why are there more and more fairies out there. There must be a fairy training school or center somewhere in KL or PJ?

I'm luckier as the fairies in Bangkok behave better though it is generally more acceptable to be "different" in Thailand. Maybe its also the culture here that teaches everyone to be polite, thus you do not hear gym fairies shrieking around the gym. Even when they do group up and chat, there is little snigger here and there and no, the group does not block anyone's path. Common sense applies here !

My 2 cents worth of comments.

Mr RM said...

Gym Fairies --- I'm laughing really loudly now. This is just simply fantastic, and I thought, I have coined interesting words like rainbowlanderism, ha ha hee hee

coolgardy said...

CM far away - yes they should give way and not block the way, where are their manners?

Searcher - I coined this while trying to think of a title for my Blog. I thought it was brilliant that I used it...hehehe Glad you loved the blog.

Anonymous said...

Coolgardy, perhaps its about time to ask the dear fairy godmarder of the highest order to teach the little fairies some lessons in manners? Back to skool for the young and naive fairies. He he he

coolgardy said...

kyle - U r right. I shall just leave them alone and BLOG abt them later... LOL

CM far away - U know anyone who can fill in that position??

Anonymous said...

aiks coolgardy, you seem to have forgotten we have one whom you and I used to attend her class religiously :) The fairy godmarder of the highest order in PINK from head to toe, even the handphone !

Anonymous said...

oh me and my gym mate are bitching in bug&bee now. There's this aunty in her 50s, she wore a swimsuit into steps class today !! Lime green with black fish net stockings, imagine that !!!! Can see her g-string too !! Gosh we laffed so loud now. We dare not laff in the gym tho...but everyone is gossiping about her !

Anonymous said...

Well haven't encountered such situation in the gym in my Uni yet. Thank goodness. But then I always have my mp3 on so I might have missed them.

coolgardy said...

Hi Snakey-- maybe the guys in your Uni are not the developed ones yet.. :)